Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Rid Your Life of Single Servings

Join me in my endeavor of ridding the world of single serve convenience that's leading to this world’s destruction. ... OK, that's a drastic statement, but really, is it necessary for us to get a beverage in a disposable container every time we're thirsty? Is it necessary that we throw away packaging each time we go out for lunch? There are many times during my day when I'm throwing something away and I think about the unnecessary thing I just used and tossed out. With a little bit of thoughtfulness and foresight I believe we can rid our days of this excessively disposable lifestyle.

There are a few easy things I'm starting with:

1. Handkerchief - I carry a handkerchief to blow my nose. This may sound silly, but I use a lot of kleenex during my day and handkerchief is a surprisingly pleasant change.

2. Lunch - I love leftovers, and bringing leftovers to work is usually my lunch. This used to mean using a styrofoam or paper plate and plastic utensils. Instead I bring a real plate/bowl and silverware to work everyday. Then I bring it home each night and wash them with the rest of my daily dishes.

3. To-go cup - I try to carry a to-go cup everywhere I go. If I decide I need a soda or coffee during the day, I don't need to use a disposable one. Simple.

I'm excited to take this to the next level. In two weekends my husband and I are planning a road-trip to Winnipeg. This will definitely be a challenge in single serve heaven (gas stations and fast food).

I have a long way to go and here is my start. Please share with me your experiences and thoughts about single serve.

1 comment:

Sara said...

You know...I would like to take this challenge on. As I look at my desk I have a stack of styrofoam cups that I use for my daily water intake! Yikes, I NEED to get my own water glass!